Denise’s Skinny Enchiladas
If you’re looking to add a little Mexican flare but don’t want the added guilt, then check out this recipe courtesy of Denise Austin, a 40-year fitness icon and creator of Fit Over 50 magazine. Here’s Denise Austin’s “skinny” enchiladas!
Get Our Free Guide
Enter your email address to receive a comprehensive guide to tackling Medicare with foreword from best-selling author and creator of Fit Over 50 Magazine, Denise Austin.
Makes 4 servings (serving size = 2 enchiladas with toppings)
- 3 cups loosely packed spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 cups cooked skinless boneless chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded reduced fat cheese
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 8 organic corn tortillas
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder (use half ancho chili powder for a smokier flavor)
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with oil spray.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent and very soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and cayenne and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, broth and salt and cook until hot, 3-5 minutes.
- Reserve ¾ cup of the sauce. Add the chicken and spinach to the remaining sauce and cook until the spinach is wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave for 30-60 seconds to heat through.
- Divide the chicken filling evenly between the 8 tortillas. Roll the tortillas and arrange them seam sides down in the baking dish.
- Spread the reserved ¾ cup sauce evenly over the tortillas and top with the cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and broil the top for 3-5 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Top each serving (2 enchiladas) with 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt and scallions.
Ensurem Trusted Expertise
Education is crucial in finding the right Medicare solution for you. With so many Medicare resources out there, it can be difficult finding a source you can trust. That’s why Ensurem has a Compliance Program dedicated to ensuring our Medicare content meets Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regulations. So, you can rest assured you’re getting the information you need to make the right coverage decisions.
Denise Austin, 65, Ensurem Ambassador
Best-Selling Author, Creator of Fit Over 50 Magazine
Join Our Community
Sign up to receive tips, articles, videos and more to help you live your best life. Community member also get access to exclusive content from Denise Austin!
Enroll Your Way
Shop and enroll on your own time with Emma
Have our virtual assistant, Emma, guide you through the Medicare plan selection and enrollment process.
Shop and enroll over the phone with an agent
Speak with one of our licensed insurance agents who can guide you through the Medicare plan selection and enrollment process.