Exploring Humana Medicare Plans: A Comprehensive Review
When you start to compare Medicare Advantage Plans, chances are high that you’ll find policies from Humana in your area.
Humana stands out for its comprehensive coverage options and high customer satisfaction rates when compared to the plethora of insurance providers in the market.
This article delves deep into Humana’s Medicare Advantage Plans, making it easier for you to make an informed decision about your health coverage.
Introduction to Humana
Humana, a health insurance company headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is renowned for its extensive insurance offerings. These include Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Part D), Medicare Supplement Insurance, Medicaid coverage, and dental and vision plans.
Humana is the second-largest for-profit Medicare Advantage provider, adding numerous new Medicare Advantage members annually. With more than 5.5 million people enrolled in their Medicare Advantage Plans1, Humana is a force to be reckoned with in the insurance industry.
Humana’s offerings have some distinct advantages and disadvantages that are worth considering while deciding on a Medicare Advantage Plan.
Pros and Cons of Humana Medicare Advantage Plans
- Wide Availability: Humana’s offerings are available in a vast majority of U.S. counties, making it a viable option for many Americans.
- Quality Plans: Humana has multiple contracts that are highly rated by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). The majority of Humana’s existing Medicare Advantage members are in these highly-rated contracts.
- Improved Member Ratings: Humana Randed No. 1 among health insurance providers for customer service for the third year in a row.2 Humana has improved its member satisfaction index and now ranks second out of nine major Medicare Advantage providers.
- Focus on Veterans: Humana Honor plans are designed to work with veterans’ benefits to provide comprehensive health care for those who served.
- Limited Availability of Special Needs Plans (SNPs): Humana’s Chronic Condition SNPs and Dual-Eligible SNPs are not available in all states.
- Mixed Reviews: Despite high member satisfaction ratings, the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) gives several Humana plans a relatively low rating.
Humana Medicare Advantage Plan Types
Humana offers several types of Medicare Advantage plans, varying in structure, costs and available benefits. For plan year 2024, 100% of Humana Medicare Advantage Plans include dental, vision and hearing coverage.2
Many plans offer dental and vision benefits, worldwide emergency care, and fitness benefits through SilverSneakers.
Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plans
A Medicare Advantage HMO Plan generally requires you to use a specific network of doctors and hospitals. You may need a referral from your primary doctor to see a specialist, and out-of-network benefits are usually very limited.
Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plans
Medicare Advantage PPO plans provide more freedom, allowing you to see any provider that accepts the insurance. You do not need to choose a primary doctor, and you do not need referrals to see specialists. You can seek out-of-network care, although it may cost more than seeing an in-network doctor.
Private Fee-For-Service (PFFS) Plans
Humana’s Medicare Advantage PFFS plans allow you to see any Medicare-approved provider who accepts your Humana plan. You do not need to pick a primary doctor, and you do not need a referral to see a specialist.
Special Needs Plans (SNPs)
Special Needs Plans restrict membership to people with specific diseases or characteristics. Hence, the benefits, network, and drug formularies are tailored to the needs of those members. Humana offers two types of SNPs: Chronic Condition Special Needs Plans (C-SNP)
and Dual-Eligible Special Needs Plans (D-SNP).
Humana Medicare Advantage Costs
Costs for Medicare Advantage Plans depend on the plan, your geographic location and your health needs. Here are some costs to consider:
- Premiums: Humana offers many Medicare Advantage Plans with a $0/mo. premium.
- Out-of-Pocket Maximums: This is the maximum amount you would have to pay for covered services in a year.
- Copays and Coinsurance: These are the costs that you have to pay when you receive medical services or prescriptions.
- Deductibles: This is the amount you have to pay for covered services before your insurance starts to pay.
Ratings and Reviews
Humana has received high ratings from various organizations for its Medicare Advantage plans. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) maintains its own database of star ratings on every Medicare Advantage and separate Medicare Part D plan. In 2024, 94% of Humana Medicare Advantage members are enrolled in plans rated 4 stars and above, and 61% of members are in plans rated 4.5 and above.3
Get Our Free Guide
Enter your email address to receive a comprehensive guide to tackling Medicare with foreword from best-selling author and creator of Fit Over 50 Magazine, Denise Austin.
Humana Medicare Advantage Service Area
Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans in 49 states and Puerto Rico and Medicare prescription drug plans in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico. It has the most widely available Medicare Advantage plans in the U.S.
Humana offers extensive customer service options for its members. You can reach Humana’s customer service via phone, online chat, Twitter, or through the Humana Support Community.
Why It’s Important to Speak with a Medicare Licensed Insurance Agent from Ensurem
When it comes to choosing the best Humana Medicare Plans for 2024, it’s crucial to speak with a licensed Medicare insurance agent. Agents, like those at Ensurem, have an in-depth understanding of the intricacies of Medicare Advantage Plans, the associated costs and the enrollment process. They can guide you through the maze of prescription drug coverage options and help you understand the differences between Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) and Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs).
Medicare Advantage Plans, offered by private insurance companies and approved by the federal government, often provide more comprehensive Medicare coverage than Original Medicare. These plans may include additional benefits for prescription drugs, dental services, and other healthcare needs. However, each plan has different out-of-pocket costs and benefits, making it challenging to choose the best Medicare Advantage plan that suits your individual health and financial circumstances.
Working with licensed Medicare experts from Ensurem allows you to:
- Gain a thorough understanding of various Medicare Advantage Plans, including HMOs, PPOs and Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) plans.
- Get assistance in comparing the most Medicare Advantage Plans to find the one that offers the best value.
- Receive guidance on how to optimize Medicare benefits while minimizing out-of-pocket costs.
- Understand the complexities of Medicare Advantage enrollment periods and procedures.
- Learn about extra benefits such as dental care benefits that certain plans might offer.
- Get clear explanations of terms like “Medicare Part B premium” and “supplemental coverage,” enabling you to make informed decisions.
Consulting with Medicare licensed insurance agents not only helps you navigate through the complexities of Medicaid services and Medicare Advantage cost but also ensures that you get the most out of your medical insurance. It’s the best way to secure peace of mind, knowing you’re getting the coverage you need at the value you deserve.
Humana is a well-rounded Medicare Advantage provider, offering comprehensive coverage options and high customer satisfaction rates. Though its costs are higher than many of its competitors, Humana provides flexibility and quality that few other providers can match. Understanding Humana’s Medicare Advantage Plans can help you make an informed decision about your health coverage.
Whether Humana’s Medicare Advantage Plans are right for you depends on your specific needs, preferences and budget. If you’re considering a Humana plan, it’s essential to evaluate all your options, consider the costs and understand the benefits and limitations. If you need help, don’t hesitate to reach out to Humana’s customer service or consult with a trusted insurance advisor.
Call the telephone number on your screen to speak with an Ensurem Licensed Insurance Agent to see if you’re interested in learning if there are Humana Medicare Advantage Plans available in your area. More of an online shopper? Then check out Ensurem’s Medicare Advantage online comparison tool, click here.
Ensurem Trusted Expertise
Education is crucial in finding the right Medicare solution for you. With so many Medicare resources out there, it can be difficult finding a source you can trust. That’s why Ensurem has a Compliance Program dedicated to ensuring our Medicare content meets Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regulations. So, you can rest assured you’re getting the information you need to make the right coverage decisions.
1 “Medicare Advantage in 2023: Enrollment Update and Key Trends,” Kaiser Family Foundation (Accessed 10/17/23)
2 “Humana Ranked No. 1 Among Health Insurers for Customers Experience,” Humana (Accessed 10/18/23)
3 “Humana Continues to Deliver Exceptional Start Ratings for its Medicare Advantage Members in 2024,” Humana (Accessed 10/18/23)
Denise Austin, 65, Ensurem Ambassador
Best-Selling Author, Creator of Fit Over 50 Magazine
Join Our Community
Sign up to receive tips, articles, videos and more to help you live your best life. Community member also get access to exclusive content from Denise Austin!
Enroll Your Way
Shop and enroll on your own time with Emma
Have our virtual assistant, Emma, guide you through the Medicare plan selection and enrollment process.
Shop and enroll over the phone with an agent
Speak with one of our licensed insurance agents who can guide you through the Medicare plan selection and enrollment process.